The Visvesvaraya Industrial and Technological Museum, Bangalore, India, a constituent unit of the National Council of Science Museums, Ministry of Culture, Government of India, was established in memory of Bharat Ratna Sir M Visvesvaraya. The building, with a built up area of 4,000 m², was constructed in Cubbon Park.
The Visvesvaraya Industrial and Technological Museum, (VITM), Bangalore, India, a constituent unit of the National Council of Science Museums (NCSM), Ministry of Culture, Government of India, was established in memory of Bharat Ratna Sir M Visvesvaraya. The building, with a built up area of 4,000 m2 (43,000 sq ft), was constructed in Cubbon Park. It houses various scientific experiments and engines, and was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, on 14 July 1962. The first gallery set up at VITM, on the theme of ‘Electricity’, was opened to the public on 27 July 1965.
In order to honour Bharat Ratna Sir M Visvesvaraya, the All India Manufacturers’ Organisation, Mysore State Board, decided to set up a science and technology museum at Bangalore, and the foundation stone was laid by Shri B. D. Jatti, Chief Minister of Mysore, on 15 September 1958. The Visvesvaraya Industrial Museum Society (VIMS) came to be registered as the nodal agency in order to pool resources from various industrial houses. A building with a display space of 4,000 m2 (43,000 sq ft), which was constructed in Cubbon Park, houses displays of industrial products and engines. It was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, on 14 July 1962.[1]

However, the society felt that the southern region lacked a science museum. The eastern region already had a science museum in Calcutta under CSIR, which was quite popular, and on the Society’s request CSIR took over VITM. The society nominated a permanent representative to the executive committee of VITM, and on 27 July 1965, VITM opened in Bangalore with the first gallery on the theme of ‘Electricity